Saturday, March 15, 2008

something to think about!

first of all, this might make me look like a hypocrite because i often make rude jokes about people and make fun of them myself, but in all honestly, i only do this to friends that are close to me and to whom i think will understand that i do not mean to hurt them, but i do apologize if i've ever hurt anyone with my thoughtless acts.

I recently saw this clip on youtube:


it really shocked me because i actually didn't hear about it on the news, but what was more shocking to me was the fact that the hate surrounding the LGBTQ community is so strong that someone as young as 15 thinks that he has to kill someone because of their sexual orientation...

even though i don't have to go through this myself, millions of others out there go through hell everyday because of hate and discrimination, and it's just not right.

the first time this issue was brought to my attention was when i saw a tv movie a few years ago in high school, "The Matthew Shepard Story"
for those of you that don't know who Matthew Shepard was, he was brutally attacked and murdered because he was gay...
seriously, it's just absolutely mind blowing that being gay scares people so much! and it's very sad to see that so little has been done and changed.

Ellen is right, it's ok to be gay, and it doesn't make you a second class citizen, and it should not be frowned upon. education about these issues should also be taught so that people shouldn't be afraid, since there's nothing to be afraid of.
little changes count! starting from the usage of words for their proper meanings.
for those that know me, you should know that i HATE, seriously dislike it when people say
"that's so gay!" or "you're such a retard!"
IT'S NOT A NICE THING TO SAY!!! and it just reinforces negative associations with these words..... if you're my friend, you would stop using these words in the wrong ways, it just makes me look down on you.

No comments: